School
of Creative
Industries

Sharda Harrison

Sharda Harrison

MA Arts Pedagogy and Practice
2019 — 2020

Sharda Harrison is a performer and theatre educator. She graduated from LASALLE College of the Arts with a BA(Hons) in Acting in 2009, and an MA in Arts Pedagogy and Practice in 2020 with Goldsmiths, University of London. Sharda has acted with a range of local theatre companies as well as international theatre collaborations. In 2013, she founded her own theatre company, Pink Gajah Theatre, which performs mainly fringe works and serves as a platform for artists to create and showcase their own works. Sharda is a part-time lecturer at Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts. She appears on television as a co-host for Channel 5's Talking Point.

Work

Sharda's research interest is building confidence and an overall wellbeing in both artists and non-artists through psycho-physical acting techniques, breath practices, and the power of personal narratives. Over the past five years, she has facilitated and shared her evolving acting training module with a wide range of non-actors. Sharda believes that acting is a craft that is accessible to everyone and that every individual can develop a 'body-mind' relationship, a term one of the founding fathers of psychological acting, Stanislavsky, refers to as ‘psychophysical awareness.’

Click here to add in Fav

Thesis abstract

The breath we hold back

In Singapore there is a rising number of cases of suicide, depression and anxiety. I questioned why these levels were so high, and more importantly, I wondered what I could do about them. I had, over the years, been developing a methodology called ‘Primal’ which combines psychophysical acting techniques, breath practices and the devising and performing of a personal narrative. I knew that ‘Primal’ had benefited my own personal overall wellbeing, but could this methodology be used as a new pedagogical framework to facilitate the development of someone else’s overall wellbeing? I invited participants to two different projects to experience my ‘Primal’ training. The majority of these participants have had a history of suffering from depression and anxiety, or a family member coping with these issues. The aim of this investigation was to facilitate a structure where participants were able to address these issues through an awareness of their mind-body relationship through a deepened breathing practice. Secondly, I used adapted drama therapy exercises and combined them with personal narratives. I worked with participants and their stories by placing them in a process of devising and embodied theatre practices. The results of this process gave participants a release of supressed emotions, which were linked to their subconscious and manifested in the body. I discovered that many participants have unspoken truths that sought to be expressed in a non-verbal language of the body, emotions and breath.